Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Feeling Overwhelmed...

Call me crazy.... or just a parent of a child with a disability but some days I feel like I cant keep my head above water.  Don't get me wrong Westin is a happy, healthy, bright little boy who just takes each day as they come, but as a parent sometimes its hard to not get completely consumed by all of the Drs,therapists,appointments, and opinions.  Its hard to be able to sort out what information to keep and what to throw right out the window with the other crap I don't care about.

Sometimes I find it hard to not always be looking for something to be wrong with him, its either a leg brace that isn't fitting quite right, or the way hes standing is a little off, or the way he says certain words are hard for others to understand.

For the past few weeks I have noticed that Westin has been drooling more, and for the most part he is still breathing through his mouth.  I wasn't sure if these behaviors where from having his tonsils out and just learning how to breath with his mouth closed, after all hes been breathing through his mouth instead of his nose most of his life.  So because we were questioning these behaviors we ended up making an appointment with a speech pathologist who specializes in oral myology.  We met with her in Fargo and she played with Westin for a few minutes and she also had him blow bubbles and drink through a straw. After watching him for a few minutes she started with her laundry list of things that he does wrong.....which was pretty much everything.  We left feeling completely defeated... we have worked so hard to get him to the point that hes at and for someone to tell us in 5 minutes that pretty everything is wrong is so disheartening.  While I understand this is only one persons opinion it still sucks.

So I will talk to the local speech therapist and physical therapist on Thursday to see what they think and where we go from here, I also made Westin an appointment with a pediatric dentist on Friday to see what they also have to say regarding his bite, and the position of his teeth in his mouth and if the way he holds his tongue between his teeth is doing the damage that the other speech therapist said that it was.

Its times like these I wish there was a perfect answer or a parenting handbook to tell me what to do, but right now its just one day at a time......




1 comment:

Leah said...

I’ve had those moments too. This week was hard when we were strawberry picking. Both children came with me and it was hard with a wheelchair to consider. I've also experienced those moments whilst teaching my son numbers as well. And if we are at a local park or a playground I’m practically blinded. Sometimes at night I feel a momentary sadness. It is hard isnt it? Just the other month I had a funny dream in which my son was running around independently at a park with his sister whilst I sat on a bench watching carefully.